A great game tonight and I am delighted and I like our chances and all that. But, after 2 games with the Red Sox, here are things that make me worry before I go to sleep. Most relate to FEAR, which I hope tonight's win will put behind us.
- CC and Fausto. Not pitching like the Cy Young candidates they were all summer. Scared to throw strikes. Commentators ask about using CC on short rest for game 4, and right now I'd rather see Byrd on any sort of rest.
- Raffy-L. Get your mojo back. Please.
- Fear of Papy and Manny. I sure hope Mastny (& Raffy-R) got us over that hump tonight.
- Asdrubal. We have seen some slick fielding, but he was such a clutch hitter in August and September. My memory of this post-season is that he had 1 HR against the Yankees in Game 1, then almost nothing, and he looks scared at the plate.
- Gutz. Let's hope his 11th inning extra insurance 3-run HR over the Green Monster lifted him out of this situation, but he has looked terrible too. His striking out by swinging at ball 4 in game 1 against the Sox at a key moment sticks in my head. But there have been many such moments.
- Sacrifice flies. I don't think we have made one run-scoring sac fly in the post-season, despite many opportunities. Sure we have had the 2-out RBI hits, and that makes up for it, but why can't we execute this? Seeing Lofton lift a fly to CF and Garko not score in the 11th tonight brought this home. Even though Garko was to score later.