I have finally signed up to the new LGT SB Nation format after all this time.
I am sure that this has been brought up in other fanposts, but since this issue is currently the topic du jour in hotstove discussions, I figured it warranted its own post. I wanted to know what people thought of the Indians trading for Peavy. The salient questions in my mind are
1. Do you think that this is even a possibility? i.e. whether Peavy is likely to waive his no-trade clause to go to Cleveland.
2. If he does agree to come to Cleveland, what would we need to do to make that happen? i.e. pick up his final year option, etc...
3. Lastly, what would it take to get him from SD?
My answers are
2. picking up the 22 mil option
3. I would think that packaging Shoppach, Huff, Weglarz, and either Barfield or Gutierrez may get it done though some of the other teams may have a more enticing offer. San Diego is looking for two upper-tier, near-ready pitching prospects and Huff seems to be the only thing we can offer in that category. Maybe, Atlanta with Hanson and Escobar (SS) and New York with Hughes have a better package to give up no matter what we offer, but at least I think my offer would be competitive and fits a number of San Diego's needs. Another possibility would be to include a third team which would take Shoppach for prospects which get redirected to San Diego--that way, San Diego is not paying for the arbitration eligible salary of Shoppach.
Hopefully, this post leads to a decent discussion. I will be interested to see what the community thinks of my proposal.