Well, the Indians are getting closer to being finished this offseason. Does the FO really see Valbuena as the immediate solution to 2B? Is the FO satisfied with Marte and Barfield battling it out at the last chance saloon in Goodyear? Is the FO ready to go with their surplus of 4th and 5th starters as the 3/4/5 in the rotation?
What direction do you think the FO should take with the remainder of its offseason resources? Lets cover the options:
1. Sign an infielder to play 2nd or 3rd in 2009. The options include Joe Crede, Ty Wiggington, Craig Counsell, Juan Uribe at 3B and Ray Durham, Jerry Hairston Jr, Mark Grudzielanek, Damion Easley, or Aaron Miles at 2B.
2. Sign another starting pitcher. The affordable and semi-affordable options include Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Randy Wolf, Chuck James, Braden Looper, Brad Penny, Odalis or Oliver Perez, and Tim Redding.
3. Trade for another starting pitcher. The most likely scenario involves Kelly Shoppach. The Red Sox seem like a likely suitor with Justin Masterson a potential target.
4. Trade for another infielder. I heard one person throw out a Shoppach for Jed Lowrie trade, but I don't like that scenario any more now that Valbuena is in the fold.
5. Stay put. This option means you are comfortable with having 3 of the following names in the rotation for 2009: Anthony Reyes, Jeremy Sowers, Scott Lewis, Aaron Laffey and Zach Jackson. This also means you are comfortable with either Barfield, Marte or Valbuena breaking camp as an every day starter.
Please vote in the poll and then use the comments to discuss your answer. Personally I would prefer to sign a starting pitcher and keep Shoppach for a mid-season acquisition that could put us over the top.
If the Indians could only make one other move this offseason, what should the Indians FO do next?
Sign another infielder. (18 votes)
Sign another starting pitcher. (55 votes)
Trade for another starting pitcher. (58 votes)
Trade for another infielder. (11 votes)
Stay put. (6 votes)
148 total votes