Soylent green is people (May 12, 2011)

You never know where you'll find green...

Thanks, again, for the recap. You know, I no longer live in the country and, despite having MLB.tv, I rarely get to watch anything but afternoon games, and these recaps are, without fail, the first thing I read about the Tribe every morning. I don’t even go to indians.com or cleveland.com until I’m bored at work hours later. I get the result and an incredibly insightful blow-by-blow from LGT at 7 a.m. and I’m good. My dad often e-mails me, “did you read Hoynes’ article about the game last night?” And the other day I finally had to just tell him, “Dad, I never do.” He responded (I’m not lying) “Then how do you know things like why Joe Smith shouldn’t have stayed in the game to face (the Angels lefty the other day?)” And I just sent him the link to this site.
These recaps are kind of like our parents – we probably don’t tell them we love them enough.
Thanks, guys.

My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.

by Ockus_NYC on May 11, 2011 2:27 AM EDT reply actions   16 recs

Has LGT become too generous with recs? Look how green this thread is? Why is everyone in such a good mood? Oh yeah, 21-9!

by jakesinger777 on May 6, 2011 1:00 PM EDT reply actions   12 recs

I’m sure there’s a stat correlating wins and number of recs per time period.

by Seattle Tribe Fan on May 6, 2011 1:05 PM EDT up reply actions   5 recs

Rec – and now you have more recs than we have losses. In May!

by LondonTribe on May 6, 2011 5:50 PM EDT up reply actions   7 recs

When you look at the individual statistics for this team, and the results they have produced, it is simply amazing.

After watching teams with players who are single-handedly destroying other teams (a la Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, and others), players who have gotten of to remarkable starts, while their teams have a mediocre, or even below-average record.

This Indians team, through the first 28 games anyway, has been in essence the golden standard of a perfect team. A team, by definition, is greater than the sum of its parts. And no team in the 2011 season has demonstrated this moreso than us.

Not a single batter has more than 5 home runs.. Yet we’ve hit more home runs than 26 other teams.

We don’t have a single player with more than 20 RBI, yet we have scored the 3rd most runs in baseball.

At the start of the season our pitching staff was filled with players that were regarded as no better than #3, or #4 rotational pitchers AT BEST… But given confidence, craftiness, poise, and a sure-handed defense behindn it, we sport the 6th best ERA in the game.

Less than 3% of our runs are unearned. That is a sign of stellar defense.

Our team is loaded with unproven prospects, retreads, and wily-veterans in the twilight of their careers. Yet, for these first 28 games:

We lead the league in wins,
We lead the league in poise,
And we have been the best TEAM in baseball.

by Savage_Buckeye on May 4, 2011 7:13 AM EDT reply actions   9 recs

I wore an onion on my belt, as was the style in those days.

by notthatnoise on May 4, 2011 4:01 PM EDT up reply actions   7 recs

Possibly he took the hint after Carmona nailed him in the balls.

by Jay on May 4, 2011 10:50 AM EDT up reply actions   5 recs

It looks like – for once – we’re all on the same page. We all agree that

1) The Tribe is for real and will contend for a play-off spot
2) The pitching – both starting and relief – is well above league average
3) The Indians offense is more than strong enough to compete with anybody
4) This team just does not give up. This maybe the best part of the whole picture. For the last few years I don’t think that this was true
5) Having a good-to-great manager does make a difference – and I don’t give a hot damn if we doesn’t hit, or field or pitch. Leadership is leadership
6) This is the most fun I’ve had as a Tribe fan since the 90’s. And this year may top that era

Bottom line: something about Tribe surprises me every year. This year’s been the biggest surprise of all and I just luv it – just luv it.

Our best players wear suits.

by mauichuck on May 9, 2011 4:26 PM EDT reply actions   3 recs

I’ve heard what happens in Keith Law’s dungeon, and I don’t want any part of it.

by JulioBernazard on May 6, 2011 10:53 AM EDT up reply actions   8 recs

Orange County Choppers.

by emd2k3 on May 8, 2011 10:19 PM EDT up reply actions   5 recs

almost 30 games into the season and I can’t think of a single person to fire.

"Mixed emotions. Rather see him hit PEDroia [with that pitch]. I don’t care if he is in the dugout"

by Gradysmanldy on May 4, 2011 1:49 PM EDT reply actions   5 recs

This will not be the baseball unless we continue to offense.

by FredOx on May 5, 2011 10:49 AM EDT up reply actions   10 recs

I’m enjoying the hell out of basically finding upgraded version of the Twins’ rotation guys (the Sloweys and Blackburns of the world) in Tomlin (Talbot too) and an upgraded version of Span in Brantley. Suck it, Minnesota.

by ahowie on May 5, 2011 10:04 PM EDT up reply actions   7 recs

Hating on hipsters is such a hipster thing to do, though.

If you don't respect Aaron Laffey, I will fight you.

by Cap'n Snegiryov on May 8, 2011 11:33 AM EDT up reply actions   6 recs

I hated hipsters on vinyl.

by notthatnoise on May 8, 2011 11:53 AM EDT up reply actions   9 recs

Can’t figure out what the marshmallows are supposed to be though.

Concentrated diabetes

by Turkmenbashi on May 6, 2011 10:05 PM EDT up reply actions   4 recs

"Scrappy" is organizational speak for "just a keystroke away from being crappy"

by APV on May 10, 2011 9:28 AM EDT up reply actions   4 recs

If you say his name twice in the mirror he will reappear on the mound. Gradysmanldy was just being cautious.

RALLY SIG

by USSChoo on May 9, 2011 8:00 PM EDT up reply actions   5 recs

What a username.

by afh4 on May 9, 2011 7:33 PM EDT up reply actions   6 recs

At least there’s no avatar.

by notthatnoise on May 9, 2011 8:53 PM EDT up reply actions   6 recs

And his groin knows not to use the subject line. Very few groins think first before declaring their love.

by YoDaddyWags on May 9, 2011 9:54 PM EDT up reply actions   5 recs