They're leading the American League and they were supposed to be cellar dwellers. Now, your editor says you have to write an article about this surprising team in flyover country. Don't be alarmed - follow this easy guide and you'll be able to pop out your story in no time and it will look just like what everybody else is writing, so, therefore, it must be true!
How to write an article about the Cleveland Indians in 2011 if you write for a national media organization (pick 2 or 3 storylines):
- The Indians are surprising everybody (except, maybe Manny Acta).
- Cleveland is downtrodden (cite economic climate or sports disappointments or both).
- Nobody's going to the games.
- Amazingly, those poor fools actually believe they can win (silly sods!)
- Their payroll is really small but they're winning anyway .
- They blew up the team and traded away Cy Young winners.
- It won't last.
You're welcome, national media.