- Bruce Fields and Steve Smith are gone. Brad Mills might come aboard, which would give us 3 manager-quality guys in the dugout (Francona, Alomar).
- Bastian takes a look at how terrible the 2012 rotation was. He says "potential free-agent starters include Anibal Sanchez, Brandon McCarthy, Kevin Correia, Jeremy Guthrie, Edwin Jackson, Hiroki Kuroda, Francisco Liriano and Shaun Marcum."
- In case you missed Emily's fanshot, Vinnie Pestano was referenced on a popular TV show earlier this week.
- LGFT Jake Westbrook threw a 50-pitch simulated game on Tuesday. He is back to full strength, and could pitch in the WS if needed. Still, Go Giants.
Lance Berkman could also return.
- Justin Verlander continued his playoff dominance last night against the Yankees. He was pulled for Phil Coke after 130+ pitches. Despite being bad against the Tribe this season, Coke was able to shut down the 2-1 win.
- Following in the line of Robin Ventura and Mike Matheny, Jason Giambi will interview for Colorado's managerial opening. This craze is going a little too far, IMO.
- I'll use the CBS headline for this one: Sanchez's success help Tigers in 2012, but could make him harder to keep for 2013 and beyond
- Former Indian Luis Valbuena (notice I didn't say LGFT) is eligible for arbitration. Can you say non-tender?
- And finally...
Indians yet to announce makeup of Francona's coaching staff. Could be finalized early next week. Sandy Alomar Jr. has a spot on the staff.— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) October 16, 2012