- Free agent starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy will resume throwing next month, in what is fantastic news for baseball fans.
- Ex-Redstocking Dice-K wants to go pitch for the Padres in 2013. With how he pitched in 2012, I don't think he has the luxury of choosing his landing spot. One place we know he won't land is Cleveland—Francona said some unflattering things about him during an early-season ESPN telecast.
- The Royals are shopping top prospect Wil Myers for starting pitching.
- Also in the link just above:
Right-hander Kevin Slowey is back from a misdiagnosed fractured rib that hindered him throughout 2012 and will start pitching next week for the Toros del Este in the Dominican Winter League. While the interest in Slowey for a minor league deal is strong, a good showing in the D.R. should get him a major league contract.
- The Padres probably aren't thrilled about the prospect of acquiring Dice-K, but they do in fact want Dan Haren or Shaun Marcum.
- As expected, Bryan LaHair signed overseas in Japan.
- Matt LaPorta is hilariously eligible for the Rule 5 draft.
- "ESPN Rumor Central's Jason Catania suggests teams that could be interested in [Rick] Porcello include the Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Angels, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins, Cleveland Indians and Milwaukee Brewers." I put the odds at Detroit trading him within the division at 20:1.