You know it's a busy weekend in baseball when Ubaldo's name pops up with the word "interested" near it. And not "westbrook is interested in locking Ubaldo out of Progressive Field."
- Bill Center of U-T San Diego goes into depth on a scenario that has Ubaldo Jimenez heading to the Padres.
The Padres have depth at the corner outfield slots, in the bullpen and at middle infield. The names most often mentioned as possible trade chips are relief pitchers Luke Gregerson and Joe Thatcher and outfielder-first baseman Jesus Guzman.The Padres, you see, seem to be looking for an innings eater over guys like Haren and Dice-K. One thing Ubaldo has been so far is durable. For the sake of our draft slot, that has been very fortunate.
- Vinnie Pestano's reaction to Hannahan's non-tender:
Upsetting news about Hanny. Part of the business but he’s the best teammate I’ve ever had. Not gonna find anyone who cares more for his guys— Vinnie Pestano (@VinnieP52) December 1, 2012
- The Braves traded Tommy Hanson to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Orange County Don't Call It That for Jordan Walden. Chris Perez is a better pitcher than Walden, but more expensive. So ATL's salary shedding goal wouldn't have been met by a CP-for-Hanson swap.
- Jeff Karstens was non-tendered by LGFT Neal Huntington:
- Jayson Stark asked the question "Who's the best bet to get traded during the winter meetings?"
Those to receive more than 1 vote:
"I know the direction they're going and what they're looking for," one AL exec said. "And I think they find a taker. When Stephen Drew is the best [free-agent] option out there, they've just got too many ways to go [to move Cabrera]." The Diamondbacks, Rays and A's have all been connected to Cabrera this winter. And given that the Indians want young, high-upside pitching back, all those teams are excellent fits. But the price might actually be so high that, as one NL exec said: "In the end, he ain't going anywhere. I know what they're looking for. And if the price stays the same, I can't imagine he'll get traded."
- The Rays traded Burke Badenhop to Milwaukee for Raul Mondesi Jr.
- The Orioles set Mark Reynolds and Omar Quintanilla free. A few miles away, the Nats did the same with John Lannan.
- The Astros claimed Phil "Was Perfect Once" Humber off waivers from the CWS. Yes, he might as well have been pitching in the College World Series after that perfect game.
- Mike Pelfrey and Andres Torres are free agents after not being tendered by the Mets.
- Jair Jurrjens and Peter Moylan had the same thing happen to them in Atlanta.
- Nice wrapup of the non-tenders, as seen by a Twins fan.
- I would really like Derek Holland in Cleveland.