Since last we looked at the 2013 draft pick standings, the Indians have jumped into a fourth-place tie with Minnesota, but Colorado has jumped them in the standings. The Indians are a game closer to the Cubs, but time's running out, and there's only so many possible losses left. A devastating win last night will make their ultimate goal of the second pick even more difficult.
(Records through Wednesday's games)
Houston is close to clinching the top spot, but the rest of the top 5 picks could go to anyone. Here's what the contenders have on their plate this week:
(losses updated through Thursday's games)
- Chicago (87 losses): 4 PIT (72-70), 3 CIN (87-57) - in theory this should be a good opportunity for the Indians to make up some ground, but the Pirates have really falled off over the past couple weeks.
- Colorado (85 losses): 3 @ SDP (69-75), 4 @ SF (81-62) - I think with a good week the Indians should be able to overtake the Rockies; San Diego has a 25-14 record since August 1, and the Giants are looking to clinch the NL West title.
- Minnesota (84 losses):3 CHW (76-66), 3 @ CLE (60-84) - Minnesota will get the first-place White Sox this weekend, then the showdown with Cleveland.
- Cleveland (84 losses): 3 DET (75-67), 3 MIN (60-84) - The Indians got a break, as thanks to rainout Thursday they'll be facing Justin Verlander. The series with Minnesota should determine who finishes in a higher draft spot, because after that series, the Indians will have just 9 games left to play.
- Miami (81 losses): 3 CIN (87-57), 3 ATL (81-63) - Miami is finishing strong, but it looks like they have too much ground to make up.