- Arizona's Patrick Corbin became the second pitcher since 1916 "to begin a season with nine straight starts of six-plus innings and no more than two runs" ... The other? Ubaldo, back when he was unhittable.
Corbin threw a three-hitter on Monday.
- LGT Trade Target Matt Garza came off the DL and took a no-hitter into the 5th inning before Hector Rondon and the rest of the Cubs bullpen gave up five runs.
- The Mariners were able to put the Indians' 4-game sweep behind them and focus on the Angels. It didn't help them, though. They lost 12-0. Aaaaand...
- Mike Trout hit for the cycle.
- From Monday's Mariners-Indians game:
The Mariners are the only team in past 30 seasons to hit go-ahead home runs in the both the 9th and 10th innings and still lose.— MLB Stat of the Day (@MLBStatoftheDay) May 21, 2013
- But the most shocking news of the day might have been that Jair Jurrjens had an option remaining:
The @orioles reinstate RHP Miguel Gonzalez from15-day DL; option RHP Jair Jurrjens to Triple-A Norfolk.— MLBRosterMoves (@MLBRosterMoves) May 21, 2013