Soylent Green is People: 5/3

"And then I tried to warn him about throwing Cy Young winners against me, but he did it anyway! Some people..." - USA TODAY Sports

"You win some, you lose some, and you rec some." -Dale Earnhardt

Before we even set out, this needs to be understood.

I feel like the idea that there are now people too young to get Calvin & Hobbes references is a great threat to American society.
by ferociouswalrus on Apr 30, 2013 | 12:29 PM up reply rec (4)

That’s like saying someone is too young to recognize the Mona Lisa or to have heard of Aristotle. There are some things that everyone should be exposed to, regardless of age.

I hate that last sentence, but whatever.
by Joel D on Apr 30, 2013 | 4:38 PM up reply 3 recs flag

Introduce Calvin and Hobbes to as many people as you can... for the children.

In Tribe news, people are already getting Clevelanded in silly ways.

No, he was actually playing first base. Runners kept stepping on him.
by walter.white on Apr 30, 2013 | 5:25 PM up reply rec (4)

Bad luck. Elsewhere, morale was not at an all-time high at the week's outset.

(screams eternally)
What if...
by Danieldelamaiz on Apr 28, 2013 | 4:08 PM up reply rec (6) flag

How do we feel about Ubaldo this week?

We put Tomlin’s brain in Ubaldo’s body. Let’s see if they notice.
What if...
by Danieldelamaiz on Apr 29, 2013 | 9:00 PM up reply rec (3) flag

can we put Ubaldo’s brain in Tomlin’s body and trade it to the Yankees?
"I can very easily see a scenario in a couple of months where we’re talking about our starting rotation as a strength.’’ –CA
by westbrook on Apr 29, 2013 | 9:59 PM up reply rec (5) flag

Morale would take a surprising uptick with back-to-back games against Cy Young winners, who are the Tribe's bread and butter, apparently.

Memo to all Cy Young winners: DO NOT F WITH T. FRANCONA
What if...
by Danieldelamaiz on Apr 30, 2013 | 7:26 PM reply rec (4) flag

Ahem.

They can get to Doc.
by JulioBernazard on Apr 30, 2013 | 3:41 PM up reply 1 recs
by JulioBernazard on May 1, 2013 | 1:39 AM reply rec (7) flag

ALL YOUR CY YOUNG WINNERS ARE BELONG TO US
Irrational exuberance since December 2012.
by Gradyforpresident on Apr 30, 2013 | 8:09 PM reply rec (5) flag

1948
Bats right like Thornton, left like Hargrove.
by ethorn on May 2, 2013 | 9:40 AM reply rec (5) flag

So we have 2 aces in Bauer and Jimenez and a decent number 2 in Masterson? That’s pretty good.
by Cols714 on May 1, 2013 | 11:20 PM reply rec (4) flag

Old friend Cliff Lee came back to face new full-time intellectual/part-time pitcher Trevor Bauer...

I’ve gotta believe it will be the largest disparity of the number of books read between opposing starters in MLB history.
by Joel D on Apr 29, 2013 | 9:12 PM up reply 11 recs flag

...and (in unrelated news) old friend Jason Kipnis HR picture also made a belated season debut.

WELL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT!

by westbrook on Apr 29, 2013 | 8:12 PM reply rec (3) flag

A quick recap of why we love Cleveland...

Columbus is the dividing point. A drive down I-71 South to Cincinnati is filled with billboards telling you why you are going to hell.
by Cols714 on May 2, 2013 | 11:14 AM up reply rec (4)

By the time you get to Cinci, you believe you’ve arrived there.
by Joel D on May 2, 2013 | 9:26 PM up reply 3 recs flag

...and the rest...

The traitors got what they deserved.
Irrational exuberance since December 2012.
by Gradyforpresident on May 1, 2013 | 3:34 PM up reply rec (5) flag

You can turn them into Carlos Santana!
Yeah, I put Bertman's on my bat. What of it?
by MooneysRebellion on May 1, 2013 | 11:02 AM up reply rec (5) flag

All other ages should go for it, though
"I don’t care if it’s Mother Teresa, if she was wearing a Yankee uniform, I’d still boo her." - mauichuck
by Turkmenbashi on Apr 30, 2013 | 11:42 PM up reply rec (6) flag

Guys, I talked to Ambien before the game and the keys to getting with me are to be a gentleman, but also a bad boy.

Back to you.
We wear caps and sleeves at this level, son. Understood?
by no1ever on Apr 30, 2013 | 7:57 PM up reply rec (9) flag

I didn’t realize that the Transmogrifier’s effects lasted that long.
by mtg8 on Apr 30, 2013 | 9:09 PM reply rec (3) flag

Hopefully they last all season, good person. For right here and right now, though, I'd say they're doing well.

Time and place are just Bro constructs.
Let's Go Tribe
by Ryan on May 1, 2013 | 10:58 PM up reply rec (8) flag

Oh. I guess that's it from me then. I'll leave the sign-off line for my favorite LGT'er.

LGT: come for the baseball, stay for the Calvin and Hobbes references.
by Joel D on Apr 30, 2013 | 8:41 AM reply 3 recs flag