Soylent Green is People: 7/5

Kipnis was figuratively on fire all week.

The land of the green and the home of the brave

Oh good, this again!
"I will not now, nor will I ever, live in that tedious world where everything is either a) awesome or b) stinks." YDW
by USSChoo on Jul 3, 2013 | 10:37 AM up reply rec (4) flag

I know, right? What a crazy week it has been since we did this last. The Tribe stayed hot, won twice in one day, surged into first, cooled off, lost twice to the Royals, and surged back out of first. And we celebrated our nation's independence.

The craziest thing was that Drew Stubbs hit into a double play.
by johnf34 on Jun 28, 2013 | 9:33 PM reply rec (5) flag

That's actually probably true. I've started placing things on a scale of the sun rising in the east to Drew Stubbs GIDP to put their craziness in context. It's very confusing to people who aren't Tribe fans and my brother, who is awful with compass headings.

why must you engage in verbal warfare the nite after two spectacular wins?
by talonk on Jun 29, 2013 | 10:12 AM up reply rec (8)

It's actually been more than a night, but you have a point. I guess my default setting is belligerent. I think maybe now we should talk about how I need to learn to control my behavior.

No, we’re going to talk about how Bauer is a better prospect than Carrasco.
by Jay on Jun 29, 2013 | 11:21 AM up reply rec (6)

That makes more sense. I expect that someone will always come along behind me and distract from my various flaws as a human being on here.

I mean this in a lighthearted way, so I hope you take no offense, but…

Most of us aren’t quite as greedy as you in our expectations.
Let's Go Tribe, SBNation's Cleveland Indians blog
by Jason Lukehart on Jun 30, 2013 | 1:20 AM up reply rec (4)

Well, I guess that's the difference between me and the rest of the world. I don't think it would be unreasonable of me to cut off anyone with a negative word to say about me before they even get a chance to finish it.

Pure ignor
Motto every Cleveland fan should live by, "Hope for the best, expect the worst."
Only cowards wave towels.
by PaduaDSP on Jun 30, 2013 | 5:36 PM up reply rec (3)

Anyone else have any dissent to voice?

I, for one, am not taking this bait.
by Ellaybee on Jun 28, 2013 | 6:13 PM up reply rec (3) flag

I don't suspect that there are many who will. Sometimes a comment jumps off the page at me for the simplicity of its brilliance. Today's green of the week is just such a comment.

pulled a hammy running the bases

You mean as he was rounding first, he made everyone listening think he hit a home run?
by Ellaybee on Jul 1, 2013 | 1:23 PM up reply rec (11)

Here is the rest of the week in green.

Well, in the last three weeks the team has plummeted from second place, a half-game back, to second place, A FULL GAME BACK. DON’T EVER DO ALL THAT STUFF AGAIN
by YoDaddyWags on Jun 30, 2013 | 11:38 AM up reply rec (3)

With the Tigers losing in Tampa Bay, that shutout also pushed the Indians into a first-place tie with Detroit.

Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago when everyone wanted to give up on this season?

Nahhhh

LGT!
"sometimes the internet is hard for me." - ClemsonGirl
by world dictator on Jun 30, 2013 | 6:46 PM reply rec (4)

the Indians . . . maintained their lead over second-place Detroit

I am in favor of this phrase.
by still ill on Jul 3, 2013 | 2:45 AM reply rec (11) flag

I’m not sure if the Indians would have been better off facing a starter just up from AAA, given their track record this year.

Plus, the classicists among us will appreciate getting to see at least one Anibal-Asdrubal at bat. (I will be unusually disappointed if Francona plays Aviles instead.)
by mtg8 on Jul 3, 2013 | 10:10 AM up reply rec (5) flag

is a different matter

To you.

Much to your disappointment, most of us don’t have identical standards.

Let's Go Tribe, SBNation's Cleveland Indians blog

Yeah, he was much more of a belly itcher today.
by Joel D on Jun 28, 2013 | 6:58 PM up reply 3 recs flag

Ok Jason, you got the day shift. Night everyone.
Let's Go Tribe
by Ryan on Jun 29, 2013 | 3:56 AM reply rec (3) flag

And the Indians are nowhere near the top five in popularity among MLB teams. Does that mean no one should root for them at all?

Claiming anything sucks because it’s not mainstream popular is silly. We should be far, far above that at LGT.
Let's Go Tribe, SBNation's Cleveland Indians blog
by Jason Lukehart on Jun 30, 2013 | 4:06 PM up reply rec (4)

Probably didn’t think you’d read the name "Bernard Gilkey" when you paid a visit to LGT today.

I wake up every morning, hoping this will be the day.
Let's Go Tribe, SBNation's Cleveland Indians blog
by Jason Lukehart on Jul 2, 2013 | 1:50 PM up reply rec (11)

Edmund Burke has put up 0.0 WAR since July 1797.
Stability is overrated.
by emd2k3 on Jul 2, 2013 | 9:30 PM up reply rec (3) flag

And I here I thought you’d never post anything I could agree with.
by Joel D on Jul 3, 2013 | 12:04 PM up reply 5 recs flag

Ubaldo Jimenez and the Pitchers of a Lost Start
Let's Go Tribe, SBNation's Cleveland Indians blog
by Jason Lukehart on Jul 1, 2013 | 6:37 PM up reply rec (3)

And finally, consider how many sentences linked to Jhonny Peralta have begun with the words, "If only..." I think this one may be the best ever.

If only there had been a Carthaginian general named "Jhonneus"…
by mtg8 on Jul 3, 2013 | 1:18 PM up reply rec (3)

Have a pleasant weekend.